Have you ever had a friend who completely began to ignore you when they started dating someone? Or a friend who began acting differently once they were in a relationship? How did that make you feel? Angry, irritated, frustrated? However it made you feel, we all say that will never be us until... it is.
Dating can be hard, especially in today's digital age. You can’t open Instagram without feeling bad that you are single. When it comes to dating (or not) there are some things we have to be aware of. There's not a right or wrong way to date, but there are unhealthy and healthy ways! How can we make sure we are staying true to ourselves while also being in a relationship?
- DO take your time. Good things come to those who wait. Anything worth having is worth waiting for.
- DO stay true to who you are. Never forget where you came from. Be who you are because losing yourself is not worth it.
- DO know what you stand for! You don't have to compromise what you believe for others. Be strong and stand for your values. If they don't like it, it is possible they're not supposed to be in your life anyway.
- DON’T block out your loved ones! Closing out the people who have always had your back is the last thing you should do. There is such a thing as having a family life and a social life while in a close dating relationship, trust me!
- DON’T let your relationship status determine your worth. No, you're not a loser because you're the only one in your friend group that is single. Go live your best life. Being single can be lit! You don't have to worry about someone eating your food, Valentine's Day isn't a huge deal for you, and no one gets upset with you for not calling them.
- DON’T get in a relationship just because everyone else is in one. It’s completely fine if you’re single…
Listen, you don’t have to date right now. It’s okay to date yourself for a little bit. It's okay to live in the moment by yourself. It's okay to take yourself on dates. It’s okay to learn about who you are. It's okay to tell yourself you're beautiful or handsome. It's okay to reassure yourself that you're not alone- you have people in your corner! Don't rush for the status. The heartbreak isn't worth it.
Written by Akeyla Madison